Frequently Asked Questions
We Aim to Please! Target Rent A Car is at your service. Save money and time with Target Rent A Car's Services. Whether you're on the road for business or pleasure, customize your rental car to fit your needs. Our wide range of rental products offers you both time savings and convenience when you're away from home. Below a list of the most frequently asked questions. If you need help with any other doubts please call us!
Accidents & Liability
- What is Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)?
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is not insurance. It is a written agreement between the renter and the client in which the renter waive all or some claims against the client for damages to the rented vehicle provided it is used and operated in conformity with the provisions of the rental agreement.
- What about liability coverage? Is it included on the rental rate or on the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)?
- It is no included on the rental rate or on the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW). According to Puerto Rico law, renters are liable for damages to third parties. We strongly suggest that you check you personal auto policy for liability coverage when renting a car. We provide Renters Liability Insurance at an additional cost if you have no liability coverage on you personal auto policy and want to be protected against claims.
- What happens if the car is damaged, stolen, or in an accident?
- If the car is stolen or has been involved in an accident, first call the local police or appropriate law enforcement agency. Next, call the office where the car was rented, give them your rental agreement number and explain what has happened. You’ll be led through the procedure to get you going again.
- I purchased Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), what do I do in case of an accident?
- Simply fill out Target Rent a Car's accident report and a deductible fee, if any, will be charged.
- I declined the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), what do I do in case of an accident?
- Fill out Target Rent a Car’s accident report. Target Rent a Car will prepare an estimate of damages. The renter will be responsible for the damages to the rented vehicle (including the entire actual cash value of the vehicle in case of a total loss or theft). It will be the renter's responsibility to file a claim with any personal insurance or credit card insurance that the renter may have. Target Rent a Car will provide the renter with all documents needed to process a claim: rental agreement, accident report, and estimate of damages, pictures, vehicle registration, etc.
Safety In Puerto Rico
- Do accidents occur regularly?
- Accidents and vehicle theft aren’t something we like to think about, especially on a trip, but they can happen even to the most experienced and careful driver. Optional waivers like the CDW (as outlined above) may be purchased to reduce or eliminate your financial exposure. Remember that, as the renter, you are liable for all parking and moving traffic violations, both domestic and international, so please drive safely and observe all ordinances.
Renting from the airport
- Is Target Rent a Car located inside the airport?
- We are located 2.6 miles west outside the airport on route 26 also know as Baldorioty de Castro Expressway. Right on the corner of Pomarosa St. and Baldorioty de Castro.
- Does Target Rent a Car offer transportation to and from the Airport?
- Yes. We also offer free transportation to and from nearby hotels, the piers in San Juan and Old San Juan.
- How do I contact Target Rent a Car when I arrive at the airport?
- There are courtesy ring down phones at all terminals right on the baggage claim area. Use those phones to let us know you are at the airport and wish to be picked up. It is best to call while waiting for the luggage so while you wait the shuttle be on the way.
- Do the shuttles have a schedule?
- The shuttles works upon request.
- When returning to the airport, how much time in advance do I have to be at Target Rent a Car?
- Please give us one hour in addition to whatever time your airline requires you.
- What are my insurance options to protect the rented vehicle?
- There are 3 ways to protect the rented vehicle.1. Purchase Target Rent a Car's Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)2. Use your personal insurance. Proof of insurance will be required.3. Use the credit card insurance. Renter must know if his or her credit card provides insurance in Puerto Rico and must know the terms and conditions. Most of the credit cards offer secondary insurance. Also the length of coverage on credit card range from 15 to 30 days.
Payment and Charges
- Are there any additional charges besides the rental rate?
- The following are optional services you may purchase or incur at an additional charge: additional driver fee, global position satellite (GPS), under age fee, child seat rental, collision damage waver, renters liability insurace, personal accident insurance, taxes, license recovery fee, traffic violations.
- Will there be a deposit taken on my credit card, and if so, how much?
- Yes, a deposit/hold will be taken on your credit card. Target Rent a Car will process a hold on your credit card at the time of rental for the total amount of the rental charges plus 15%. The final charge will be processed when the vehicle is returned.
- Does Target Rent A Car accept debit cards for payment?
- As a general rule, a major credit card is required at the time of rental. However, when renting from Target Rent A Car, you may be allowed to use a debit or check card to rent, but the CDW with deductible is mandatory. A debit/check card is considered to be any non-credit card bearing the Visa or MasterCard logo. Any other non-credit card without the Visa or MasterCard logo is not accepted. Prepaid credit cards, gift cards and debit/check cards are accepted for payment at the end of the rental period.
Requirements for Renting
- Does Target Rent A Car conduct driver record checks?
- You and any additional drivers may be subject to a driving record and license check with the DMV. In the rare instance that the driving record and license check fails to meet our criteria, we reserve the right to deny the rental based on the DMV report.
- What is the minimum age to rent a car from Target Rent a Car?
- The renter must be 25 years of age or older. Renters between the ages of 21 and 24 are subject to a daily surcharge.
- Is a credit card required to rent a car?
- Yes. All major credit cards are accepted.
Renting with Kids
- Should I bring a child seat?
- You may bring your own child seat or rent one from Target Rent a Car. The decision is yours. However, it is Puerto Rico law that children under the age of 4 are to be secured in child seats.